Friday, August 28, 2009

We're back from France!

We just got back from France earlier this afternoon and I'm ready to start posting some of the photos. Our journey started at the train station in Kaiserslautern. For whatever reason, they had this statue on one of the tracks and the kids thought is was neat. So Catherine and I took them to that track for the photo - Ian and Leah decided to hold the nice dinosaur's hand : )


The train was one of the bullet trains, and went faster than 320 km per hour! It was a very smooth ride into Paris (and back). Once in Paris the real fun began as we deciphered the metro system, which really wasn't difficult at all. We found our hotel and then we were off for some early sightseeing and met up with my mother, who happened to be on vacation with an aunt and cousin of mine. We all met up and went to see Notre Dame, Ile de la Cite, and Ile Ste. Louis. It was on Ile Ste. Louis that we found this chocolate/ice cream shop and my mom treated the kids to a super special treat. Every day after that was a constant barrage of "I want ice cream", "when can I have ice cream", "can I have ice cream now", "what about now", well - you get the idea. It didn't matter if they had JUST eaten and complained about a full belly, but as soon as they saw an ice cream place (sometimes even that was not necessary) the questions started right up.


It was a late day for the kids, and I wanted to check out Sacre Couer - a friend had told me that she had seen some neat stuff there after dark (fire jugglers, etc.) and I was not disappointed. The area immediately around Montmartre and Sacre Couer was gorgeous, and the "show" on the steps in front of the church was very fun. However I decided to walk to Moulin Rouge and encountered the seedy side of Paris in a hurry. Nothing dangerous, just seedy. Glad I saw it, doubly glad there was a metro stop immediately adjacent to the Moulin Rouge so I didn't have to walk back through that mess to get to my original station.





No comments: