Saturday, December 5, 2009

Big Trip, Part IIIe - Spain

Today we took our trip down into Alicante - which is probably the biggest city in this region. Before we left though, I got up early and took a drive over to the Cap d'Or hillside for some sunrise photos. Ian and I had tried to find them yesterday, but we had no luck - there was one sign in the city of Moraira and after too many false turns and dead ends we called it quits. Another big thanks to GoogleEarth to sort that out and the next day I was out there. I was kind of glad that Ian and I didn't make it the day before, as the trail was rough in places and at a couple of points was very close to a very long drop onto some rocks and the sea.

Anyways, Cap d'Or is the hillside with an old watchtower on it. Apparently from the 1500's or so, used to protect the local populace from the Berber pirates. This first shot is a view of some cliffs from the walk up to the place, it is looking back towards the villa.

I don't often get in front of the camera, but thought I'd give it another go.


We had a nice time in Alicante. We took a walk on the beach - the sun felt so good, the sand so soft, it would have been nice to take a swim. We had tapas at a little cafe and walked around the old city. From there we headed uphill to the first of two castles that overlook Alicante. This first shot is from Castillo de Santa Barbara, which is the (much) nicer of the two in my opinion. Ian and Leah enjoyed crawling up stairs and along walls with me. Here they are on a little stairway.

There were canons all over the place, which Ian just loved. This one is from the very tippy top of the castle, which had great views of the entire city of Alicante.


That's it for our trip to Spain. We start our way home tomorrow morning. We will head north to the country of Andorra and spend the night there. Be honest, have you ever heard of Andorra? I know I hadn't. Do a quick google search and learn something new :) After that it is back to Beaune, France. Then home.

Cheers!

Marc

No comments: