Sunday, October 10, 2010

Another gorgeous day in Germany

Today was just another awesome day in Germany. When the sun is shining, this place is gorgeous. Definitely not the kind of day to stay inside.

On that note, Catherine and I packed up the kids for a nice outing. We drove to Frauenberg to walk around in the woods and to go see the castle. It was a busy day in the woods, I've never seen so many people. There was a couple at the bench overlooking the castle, there was a family enjoying a picnic at the Sonnenberg overlook, and a small group of friends at the cliff overlooking the castle. Plus random hikers out and about.


We're just past peak fall colors, or at least that is what Catherine and I think. Still beautiful out, and I don't want to think how close winter is behind it.

After our walk in the woods, we made our way down into the valley to go visit Ruine Frauenberg. I must admit that I had a bit of a hidden agenda with this trip. I've been wanting to work on my flash photography for a while, and figured the stone walls would provide some interesting backgrounds. So I lugged my extra "tripod" around, and luckily found a couple of nicer spots. I only wish I had moved Ian just a bit to his left.


Leah stood in the exact same spot, but she is just shorter than Ian, so no plants "growing" out of her head. I rather like this one of Leah.


We stopped at the Italian Eis shop (ice cream) on the way home, which the kids definitely enjoyed. Ian and I dropped Catherine and Leah off at home and then made our way to the Burg Lichtenburg castle. The view from the top of the tower was amazing! We spent a good hour and a half to two hours scrambling all over the castle grounds. Ian was quite the trooper as I had him stop just about every five minutes in order to take some more photos.


I got a bunch of keepers of Ian. It's about time!!! Ian is a tough kid to photograph - he can hardly sit still, is easily distracted, and is just too busy being a little boy.

But when it finally works, eureka! This isn't my favorite of the bunch, but it is close. The others will take a bit of work, and I don't know when I'll get to them. Tomorrow is a day off for me (thank you fellow tax-payers!), and we have a trip planned to Cochem. Hopefully more photos from that will follow.

I hope all is well out there. Tschuss!

Marc

No comments: