Thursday, November 4, 2010

Edelweiss - in the German Alps

This past week we've (me, Catherine, and the the kids) have been in Edelweiss, a hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the Bavarian Alps. I have been here for work, continuing education really. Pretty awesome place for continuing education, but too bad they fill our days - literally - with programming. We got here Sunday and we've been go, go, go until this afternoon.

Thankfully the weather has cooperated and given us crappy weather while I've been in conference, with good weather the past couple of days. Today we headed into the foothills and made our way to Riesersee (Lake Rieser) where I discovered this little gem while on a run a day or two earlier.


The water is crystal clear, it is too easy to watch some of the fish swimming. I didn't dip a toe into the water, as there is snow higher up and I'm sure this water is part snow-melt. It used to feed the bobsled run that was used in the Munich Winter Olympics (pretty cool to see the old school grass, wood, dirt embankments for the turns).


Catherine found the kids some Bavarian-type clothes prior to our Oktoberfest trip, but we didn't have any luck finding ourselves dirndl's or lederhosen. So we saved the outfits for this trip and broke them out today.


This shot above was technically difficult, technically the least pleasing shot of the group. But I just love those Alps!


Finally, on the way out we saw this little chapel that I hadn't noticed before on the two previous trips past. This gave me a good chance to play around with the flash. All in all, this has been a nice little get away. We have a couple more days here, with no definite plans. Typical Skinner vacation . . .

No comments: