Sunday, February 13, 2011

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Friday evening after I got home from work, we all loaded up the car for the longish drive to a friend's house near Schweinfurt. He is a good friend from my deployment - and it was great to catch up and see him and his family again. We had actually planned this trip for early/mid December, but the freakishly large snow fall this year kept us from getting out and experiencing that Christmas market.

We arrived in Rothenburg ob der Tauber (from here on out - Rothenburg) in time for an early lunch just off the main square, which was delicious. From there, we walked around the town pretty much aimlessly, just going where our whims led us. The photo below is from a couple of blocks off the main square and is pretty much an iconic (dare we say "cliche"?) photo op from Rothenburg.


It was a chilly day, I think it felt far colder than it actually was. Towards the end of our trip a nice cup of espresso (double for me!) and tea for Catherine really helped to warm us back up.

During our wanderings, we came across the Museum of Crime and Punishment. It wasn't open and I'm not sure we'd have gone inside even if it was. It seems every big town or city has a museum involving crime and/or torture here in Germany. Anyways, in the public courtyard we took the opportunity to lock up Ian in the stocks.


Leah couldn't be left out. That's my friend Jeff holding Leah up.


Finally, after throwing away a little more than half of the photos I took (redundant or just plain bad), this is probably my favorite from the day. Ian was just chatting away about something - I'm guessing the play the kids were going to put on for us - when I decided to take his photo. So glad I did!


Have a wonderful day everybody!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Strangely, I have actually been to this town twice. But haven't been in over 20 years!