Sunday, January 15, 2012

Snow Day

After all the snow we had in December and early January last year in Germany, I was pretty sure that I wasn't a big fan of shoveling. Turns out I was right.

Thankfully we have a small driveway - not the triple wide behemoth we had in Thallichtenberg. But as much as I dislike shoveling, I really do love the snow! I'd been waiting for many months for a day much like today. On our first trip to Mt. St. Helens we stopped at a little roadside restaurant, where I discovered this crushed truck on the edge of their property. A reminder of the devastation. It sits on the edge of a parking lot and when I saw it, it was too dark to photograph it. I thought it'd look nice with a touch of snow on it. That day finally came.


I braved the roads (they weren't good) and made the hour and a half drive to the restaurant. Once off the interstate, I basically had the roads to myself


I think this old logging truck (that's a Weyerhauser logo on the door) got crushed by a tree that was blown over when Mt. St. Helens erupted 30-some-odd years ago. Somewhat apropos that trees are growing through and on the old logging truck.


I made a couple of stops on the way home. Basically when I saw something with nice light, I stopped and snapped some photos.


When I got home, it was time to take the kids sledding on a tiny mole sled hill in a neighbors back yard. They had a blast. Of course this culminated in a snowball fight and then making a snowman in our own back yard. Overall, a pretty good morning!

Have a great day everybody!

Marc

No comments: