Sunday, May 6, 2012

Punch Bowl Falls, Redux

Some of you may remember way back February when we made a day trip down into Oregon to discover the Columbia River Gorge. We hiked a couple of miles up to Punch Bowl Falls. I knew then that I wanted to go back when it was both warmer and greener. I was originally planning on the Memorial Day weekend, but Catherine threw a wrench into that plan. After the kids went to bed Friday night, I packed for an early morning (and I mean EARLY) trip down to Punch Bowl Falls.


I got there a little before 5 am, and hiked the 2 miles in to Punch Bowl Falls in utter solitude. This shot was taken just before 6 am, and again, I had the place to myself. I came better prepared, but nothing really can prepare you to stand essentially barefoot in spring run-off in early May. To say it was cold is a wild understatement...


I took some photos on the way back to the car. Remember, Catherine and the kids have walked this. It is a beautiful, and at times, pretty intense hike. It is worse when the trail is busy and you have to pass people. That wasn't a problem on this hike.


I saw this on the way back and thought it'd be a good place to set the self-timer to catch a photo of me hanging out above Eagle River.


Finally, there are waterfalls all along the Eagle River valley. Many are seasonal, however the one above, Metlako Falls, is a regular one. It is about a half-mile closer to the trailhead than Punch Bowl.

Have a great week!

Marc

No comments: