Tuesday, August 28, 2012

When bears attack!

Okay, so I was never attacked by a bear...

But I did scare a grizzly bear. All that ranger training really came in handy. I've already fulfilled the "Ranger School Promo" promise of scaring babies, women, horses, cats, more women...and now bears. 

Be forewarned, if you google "Ranger School Promo", you will be offended. Just sayin'.

Anywho, I had gotten up early to photograph the sunrise looking over Wild Goose Island, towards the east. I had the place to myself, which was just 100 meters from the road. Literally as I was setting up my camera and tripod, I heard some rustling in some bushes.

So I called out in a loud voice, "who's there, is that a bear"? A big head showed itself briefly, then disappeared. That was also the last I heard of the bear, but I was a bit freaked out. It didn't stop me from taking a couple of photos, but I definitely didn't stick around.

I packed up my kit and walked back up to the car, but decided to take a different, less animal intense look at Wild Goose Island from right next to the road. There is a cliff overlooking the lake, and I got up close to the edge and looked over, and what did I see?


This guy. I snapped a quick photo with the lens I had on, but knew I wouldn't be able to tell much. So I changed lenses and took another photo.


This was the bear I had scared away. He eventually climbed out of the lake, and started making his way further down the shore.


So yes, I really did scare a bear. Who knew? Have a nice day everyone! Cheers,

Marc

No comments: