Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day!

We eventually made our way back to our campsite from Third Beach. The kids were tired, it was the second day in a row that involved some hiking (about three-four miles round trip), so they were ready for bed.

Sunday morning we awoke to no rain. I got up early and made myself some coffee while the kids were sleeping. After I'd finished my two cups I waited around a bit longer, but by 7:30 I was bored and it was apparent that Ian was awake but Leah was not. So I packed up my hammock and waited around a bit longer. Then I took the kids' rainfly off, and they looked so cute I had to get my camera out.



The magic of the hammock is that level ground is not necessary, just two trees the correct distance apart. So while it looks like the kids were laying on that downed tree, they were not.



Leah didn't want to wake up, but she was still a good sport about it. Here I'd peeled back the mosquito netting to get a clearer photo of the kids.



I knew we were headed home after this, so we drove the two miles back to Rialto Beach to go for a little walk, and enjoy the non-raining weather (it had rained quite a bit the day before). I was getting a photo of the kids in this giant tree when a stranger came up and asked if I'd like to get in the photo, too.


Finally, the kids think they've discovered the shortest river in the world. We'd crossed the so-called shortest river in the world in Oregon last year, but I'm sure this one beats it by a long shot; it doesn't even exist at high tide.

We're obviously home and dry - hoping everybody has a wonderful Memorial Day. Cheers!

Marc

No comments: