Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Halloween

Sunday after church and a haircut, I made my way to Shenandoah National Park.  I've been wanting to get a photo from Old Rag mountain when the leaves were near peak color, and the weather forecast was predicting quite a light show.  Although, there was a chance for rain.



I took my chances and hiked up to the summit, and enjoyed the clear blue skies and warm sun while I waited for sunset.  Unfortunately, a storm did move in, but it was mostly to the north of me, but headed my way.  The wind picked up, and with about 15 minutes before the sun set, there was some lightning to the north, so I packed up and headed down hill.  It got dark fast!  And it started to rain about 2/3rds of the way down.  Fortunately, I was prepared for both darkness and rain since I knew I was going to hike out after sunset and there was a good chance for rain.  About a mile from where I parked, I ran into a family of 4 who had taken a wrong turn.  They would have had to climb back over the mountain - without flashlights or rain gear with the temperature falling - to get to their vehicle.  Fortunately, I was prepared to do good (and had been to where they had parked their car, otherwise...oy!).

Anyways, the moral of the story is be prepared when you head into the outdoors, and be prepared to offer a helping hand.

The kids had a great time trick or treating this year.  Catherine posted a couple of photos to Facebook, so these may not be terribly new.

Leah was a wolf.



Ian was the Black Panther/ninja hybrid.



Have a great day!

Marc

No comments: