Monday, September 14, 2020

Konza Prairie

I am in Kansas for course I need for my next job. Since everyone had to be tested for COVID, we had a couple of days on the front end to allow for testing. Well, mine came back about 9 am today, so I took a quick drive out into the prairie.



I found the Konza Prairie preserve, a joint venture between Kansas State University and The Nature Conservancy, about 90 miles away. Since the thought of hanging out in my hotel room all day wasn't appealing, I jumped into the rental and took a drive through the countryside.



It was a beautiful drive. A bit west of Topeka, I crested a hill and the wooded bottomlands gave way to the prairie of the flint hills. Some road construction added a solid 45 minutes to my drive on the front side of the trip, but it was still a pretty pleasant trip all things considered.

I took the 5 mile hiking loop. Good thing I brought sunscreen, since there wasn't much in the way of shade along the majority of the trail. A couple of other people were out there, but it was otherwise fairly desolate. Just what the doctor ordered.

Have a great week!

Marc

No comments: