Sunday, July 18, 2021

Rainbows and Monsoons in the Desert

We had quite the storm a week ago, with a flash flood/landslide that closed the road to Las Cruces for 3 days. We had high winds and hard rain for a couple of hours, and on/off hail. It really was an impressive storm. There was a motorcyclist who took refuge under an overpass, but since it was low lying, it was filled up with sand and silt. The motorcyclist abandoned his motorcycle (he got out), but it was buried up to the handlebars in mud/sand/silt.

I was planning to go for a bike ride this morning, but it was raining. I looked out the window and saw this magnificent rainbow. I snapped a couple of photos, but the vantage from the backyard is not that great. So I loaded up in the car and drove 2 minutes to another location with unobstructed views of the Organ Mountains. This is what I saw.

I stayed for about 20 minutes grabbing photos as the light and rain changed, but this is probably my favorite. The rainbow lasted about 45 minutes, it was really pretty cool.

Cheers,

Marc

No comments: