Sunday, October 3, 2021

Trinity Site

I made the trip north to the Trinity site - ground zero for the world's first nuclear bomb detonation - for the open house.



If you look close, there are loads of people inside the fence. While the sign is ominous, the background radiation is only 10x the average background for the US, with places with naturally occurring higher levels. Still, I wouldn't camp there...

I went to see the sights, but I also had a couple of Soldiers working the open house that I visited.

There isn't much there - it is out in the middle of nowhere (which describes most of New Mexico), other than a slight depression and some Trinitite, some mildly radioactive green rocks. Most of the Trinitite has been pilfered, but with the recent rains, I am told more was showing than in years past.

It was also the first time since 2019 that White Sands has been able to hold the open house, which looked to be pretty popular. There haven't been that many people on the north range in one place in years!

Cheers,

Marc

No comments: