Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Road Trip, part 12

So we arrived at Bryce Canyon National Park with a bit of time to eat and walk on the rim of the amphitheater.



Even though we had a half moon, I got up close to midnight to go take some photos of the Milky Way and hoodoos. The Milky Way is a bit washed out, but I am otherwise pretty happy with how these turned out.



I went back to bed after taking my photos, and we all got up a bit after sunrise to get a family photo.



We then loaded up and made our way to Cedar Breaks National Monument, which sits at about 10,500 feet. You can't tell from the photos, but it was chilly!



Cedar Breaks seems to me like the west-facing version of Bryce Canyon - about an hour or so to the west. It was a beautiful drive, I'd like to see the aspens in the fall!



From there we drove in to Cedar City and had lunch with my cousin Kevin. He and I linked up during a trip to Zion a couple of years ago, and it was good to see him again.



We then made the 2-2.5 hour drive to Great Basin National Park through a pretty remote stretch of western Utah. I still think New Mexico takes the prize, but this stretch was a close second.


It was pretty cloudy when we got there, and the hiking trails start at 10,000 feet. Ian and I did a tiny bit of hiking, but that elevation is killer.

Cheers,

Marc

No comments: