Saturday, May 19, 2012

Celebrating Military Appreciation Day

Today just so happens to be Military Appreciation Day, and we took great advantage of all the goodies just waiting for us. I bought a new backpack (look out Olympics/Mt. St. Helens/Mt. Rainier!) at REI, since my last one failed me on a hike in the Olympics this past year. That one was well over 20 years old, and had seen its fair share of hikes and such. I can't wait to load up the new one and test it out!

Then, to top off the day, the National Forest Service (and a ton of other government agencies) made the Interagency Access Pass free to all military members. Yeah me! That got us in to the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge today, and will work everywhere else we end up going this year for National Parks/Forests/etc. I was contemplating buying one of those for this year, and finally my procrastination has paid off handsomely.

Anyhoo. I'm attaching a couple of photos of all of us here in Washington. We took a nice long walk to the end of the boardwalk. 


Unfortunately, it was a couple of hours after low-tide, so the mud flats were out and the birds were out too. But we did see some bald eagles flying, which is always cool. I was taking the photos above when a kind stranger walked by and offered to take a photo of all of us, shown below.


My strategy to wear out the kids worked. "Let's have you guys race to me". Fifty percent of the time, it works every time ;). Unfortunately, it also worked on me. I think I'll be going to bed early tonight.


Enjoy your day everybody, we sure did.

Marc

No comments: