Tuesday, March 22, 2016

National Gallery of Art

Today we drove into the District and made the short walk to the National Gallery of Art.  While it wasn't busy, it wasn't empty, either.  Although at times when people stayed away from the middle of the rooms, it looked like we had the place to ourselves from time to time.


After a good once-through, everyone had to choose their favorite piece of art so I could get their photo in front of it.  Leah really liked Thomas Coles' "The Voyage of Life:  Childhood."  We saw it early in the day, so the challenge was to remember how to get back to it.


Ian's favorite was this dark and stormy shipwreck/seascape, called "The Shipwreck" by Claude-Joseph Vernet.


Catherine is a Claude Monet fan, so her favorite was "The Japanese Footbridge."


Catherine managed to get me in front of my own camera (the horror!).  Turns out I enjoy Vincent Van Gogh (in this case, "Roses").  I think Catherine, Ian, and Leah have impeccable taste - I really liked their choices too - but the up-close look at how Van Gogh layered his paintings and the 3-dimensional appearance he achieved is just remarkable.


I've pretty well worn out the kids, they are asking for a day off.  We'll see...

No comments: