Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Big Trip, Part IIb - Cotes du Rhone

We planned on two nights in Avignon, which gave us a nice break from long days of driving. Ironically, we spent the extra day there . . . driving! Though this time it was for short periods of time as we ended up driving from village to village in the beautiful southern French countryside.

We followed the driving "path" outlined in Rick Steves' guide to France and Provence. The roads between many of the smaller villages were tiny, and at one point was a dirt road (rough) and went right through many vineyards. It was a great drive and well worth the effort.

At the end of the day, we made it to the village of Gigondas where we finally found an open winery with the bonus of olive oil to try tastings. The photo below is of Leah and Catherine on the wall outside the winery.

This photo is one I took from the dirt road running through the vineyards just outside of Gigondas. Once again I did some quick and rough editing in Photoshop with this one, hopefully not too obtrusive.

Finally, I stitched together several photos that I took. The location is not quite all the way above Gigondas, but it was close.

Remember to double-click any photo for a larger shot. And I'll be posting some of these shots to my Flickr account at some point in time in the future.

Next up we make it to Spain, and I'll be posting photos from our fun we are having there. I hope all is well. Cheers!

Marc


No comments: